Hi y’all! WOW has time flown since I announced our pregnancy way back in December. As I’m writing this I am 27 weeks pregnant and in my last week of the second trimester. I can seriously hardly believe it! I haven’t been great about updating the blog in the last few months so I thought it’d be fun to answer some common questions about the first trimester! I’ll post my second trimester update right after this. Sound good? Let’s do it!
The First Twelve Weeks
I found out I was pregnant at the very end of September. Just 3 days before I got a positive test, I went to Magnolia with some friends and over a margarita a friend said “you’ve been talking A LOT about kids, do you think you’ll start trying soon?” to which I smiled and candidly replied “who knows, this could be my last marg for the next 9 months!” Turns out, IT WAS! I love that memory so much.
How did you find out and tell your husband?
I was getting antsy one night and it really felt like I just KNEW. My best friend was the only one who knew my anxious feelings, and I had decided I would take a test the next morning for my best chance at seeing a positive results. It’s probably no surprise that I couldn’t wait and around 10:30pm snuck into the bathroom to take a test. The real kicker here is that I SAW A LINE! A very faint one. I snapped a picture and sent it to my best friend, then could hardly wait to give it another go in the morning.
At about 5 am, I couldn’t sleep. I gathered my tests (yes, plural) and snuck into the guest bathroom. I took one, POSITIVE. Then I took 4 more just to be sure and woke up my best friend to tell her the news.
I had NO IDEA how I was going to tell my husband, but I knew it had to be that day because I can’t keep secrets! On the way home I stopped by target “to buy lady products” and found the only onesie I could in the store with something that said “dad” on it. I ripped open the box of lady products, emptied it out, then shoved the onesie and the 6 positive tests inside. When I got home, I asked him to bring me the box and hand me one, and that’s how he found out!!!
I didn’t record it or anything, but he was SHOCKED and I think it’s a funny story to tell.
Did you have morning sickness?
Fortunately, I didn’t have a lot of nausea associated with my first trimester. However, riggghhhttt around week 10, I started getting TERRIBLE heartburn at night, so much so that I started throwing up almost every single night. Here’s a fun fact: I hadn’t thrown up since the 5th GRADE before that moment! Nothing could fix it, and I felt miserable. The next time I went to the doctor and described to her what was going on she asked if I had reflux before pregnancy. I replied with a no, and she told me I probably had developed onset Acid Reflux from all of the hormones rising in my body.
Turns out, she was exactly right. I tried taking TUMS and Pepcid for it, but really I just had to eat bland foods and pray that it went away. I remember thinking “I’m supposed to start feeling better around this time and I just keep feeling worse!” Around week 14 I FINALLY started feeling better. That month of being sick felt like eternity, and was TRULY the most humbling experience. I’ll spare you the details but I got sick A LOT of places that month.
When did you tell people?
Like I said before, we are terrible secret keepers. It’s the norm to wait to tell people until after the first trimester, but my husband and I decided to tell family the first chance we got. We knew that our baby has a story that God planned long before it found it’s way to my womb, and that really helped to eliminate any fear and anxiety throughout the first trimester. In case anything happened, we wanted our family to be able to celebrate the life we conceived even if it meant having to admit bad news later. We wanted our people praying for us, and on this roller coaster ride with us. We told our family in between 5 and 6 weeks (even before I went to the doctor!), and our closest friends as we saw them.
I’m going to wrap up this post with a few things that I loved my first trimester!
- These leggings – I don’t think I could have survived pregnancy so far without these leggings. They’re often on sale for around $24 a pair and SO comfortable. I sized up one from my normal size and they still fit great even halfway through!
- This Pillow – I still haven’t bought a pregnancy pillow but I did grab these new pillows at some point during my first trimester specifically made for side sleepers. They’re fluffy yet firm, and they’ve REALLY helped me sleep better. They’re also super affordable!
- These Tees – I fell in love with these tees last summer and I’m so glad that I have been able to wear them throughout pregnancy too! They’re soft and comfortable, and can be worn with a cardigan or by themselves.
- This Bra – Friend to friend here, nobody told me that your boobs grow WHILE you’re pregnant. It was actually one of the first things I noticed in the first few weeks. This feels like nothing and is SO comfortable.
- This Lotion – I’ve been using this lotion to prevent stretch marks since the very beginning and I still haven’t noticed any stretch marks on my belly! That’s not to say they won’t happen, but the longer I can put them off the better!
If you made it to this point, you’re the best! I’ll be posting my second trimester update right after this! If you’re a mama, I’d love allllll the advice!
Love y’all big!