Hi y’all! I’ve officially made it through 27 weeks of pregnancy, and WOW have things changed since my first trimester. In today’s post, I’m going to talk all about my second trimester with you + FINALLY share the gender of our baby! If you’re wondering how the first trimester went, I talked all about it in this blog post! This trimester has brought baby’s first kicks, starting to plan out things we need, and our 20 week anatomy scan.
Honestly, the second trimester has felt like forever and one second all at the same time.
Things started off with some Acid Reflux issues (I talked about this in my first trimester update), but things started to magically get better around the 14 week mark. I started to feel like myself again, and that made me SO excited. I started to do some research into baby things, pin ides for the nursery on Pinterest, and really wrap my head around the fact that Teddy and I are going to be parents in just a few months!
Our 20 Week Anatomy Scan + Finding Out The Gender
Finding out the gender and our 20 week ultrasound were probably the standout moments of the second trimester! We found out the gender because we did a genetics screening at my 12 week appointment. We didn’t do a gender reveal, we actually found out just the two of us as we eagerly waited by the phone for days after my blood test. My doctor called and let us know that there were not any genetic abnormalities, and asked us what we thought the baby was. After she told us, we called all of our family and let them know!
Onto the 20 week appointment! Teddy got to come with me, and it was his first time really seeing baby move because he wasn’t allowed into my ultrasound at 12 weeks. I absolutely LOVE my ultrasound tech, and we left with about a 6 foot long printout of ultrasound pictures. During the appointment, we got to see baby kicking and waving, and finally she got to the moment we were waiting for- CONFIRMING THE GENDER! She asked if we knew, and we said yes!
Healthy Baby BOY!
WE ARE PUMPED! Honestly we both were CONVINCED it was a girl so we were pretty shocked when we found out. Everyone else thought it was a girl, and we started to believe it. I always thought I’d be a boy mom and Teddy and I both have only brothers so we know a thing or two about testosterone! I can’t wait to snuggle my boy, and do all the boy mom things!
Honestly, I’m so glad we know the gender, but I think if God blesses us with another baby we might not find out! They do say it’s life’s greatest surprise :). We will cross that bridge when we get to it!
Planning for baby
Things have felt too far away to plan for, and now all of the sudden we are kicking ourselves for not starting to get things ready sooner because the third trimester is right around the corner! I’m serious, we’ve done next to nothing so far! We do have a crib and the car seat, but that’s pretty much it! I keep throwing things in baby boy’s room and just saying I’ll get to it later. I think it’s safe to say that later is has arrived! We’ve had so many conversations lately about how things will never be truly ready and as long as we have some diapers and wipes, we will probably be alright for the first little bit haha!
As far as registering for things goes, I’ve become a big fan of baby YouTube! I’ve also asked all of my friends and family in real life the MUST HAVES of having a baby. I’ve pretty much determined two things:
1. What you need is one hundred percent subjective
2. You don’t know what you really need until the baby is born
I’ll share more as the third trimester begins, but I wanted to leave you all with some of my second trimester favorites!
- These shorts! I RAVED about these shorts during quarantine last year but I recently got them in one size up to hit the bump and they’re still amazing! They’re only $15 which is the best! I’ve tried not to buy a lot of maternity clothes since I won’t need them forever, but the few staples I’ve found are worth it!
- These jeans! I LOVE jeans, and I was so sad when I officially grew out of all of mine. I tried maternity jeans from 3 different stores and these are by FAR the best. They have a real button and belt loops so they feel normal, but have the belly band for support!
- Bagels – I love carbs in general, but I really have loved bagels this second trimester haha! I pick one up from Starbucks at least once a week!
- Smoothies and this blender – Can I be honest? Fruits and veggies are hard for me in general because of the texture, but I’ve always loved smoothies and I know the baby needs the nutrients as much as I do! Our old one cup Ninja blender bit the dust so we recently replaced it with this one and it’s amazing!
I think that’s all I’ve got for now! If you’re a mama and have any 3rd trimester recommendations, let me know! I want to know all the things!
Love y’all big!